Monday, March 4, 2013

Anime Assessment: Cowboy Bebop


Howdy all, Xort here for another rambling, mostly incomprehensible review on Anime Assessment. This week, we're gonna be talking about a classic that I, shamefully, had not watched before this week, and yet surprisingly enough I managed to avoid any and all spoilers for: Cowboy Bebop.



In addition to being a classic, Cowboy Bebop is the first anime I've reviewed that isn't adapted from a light novel series. It was developed by Sunrise, Inc. and aired from October 24, 1998 to April 24, 1999. There are 2 manga adaptations: Cowboy Bebop: Shooting Star which ran from May 1998 to October 1998, and Cowboy Bebop which ran from April 1999 to April 2000.

So what is Cowboy Bebop? It's an episodic tale set in the year 2071, a distant future where interplanetary travel is not only possible, it's rather commonplace thanks to hyperspace gates that allow for super-fast flight in an alternate dimension. The show follows the adventures of two space-traveling bounty hunters on a ship named Bebop, Spike Spiegel and Jet Black, as they pick up new members for their crew, try to fix their perpetual lack of money, and confront their pasts as they come back to haunt them. In a way, it's a lot like Joss Whedon's Firefly. Yeah, I know, Bebop came before Firefly so I should be saying that Firefly is like Bebop, but I saw Firefly first so it's my basis for comparison. Sue me. In addition to Spike and Jet we have Faye Valentine, a compulsive gambler with a mountain of debt and no memories of her past, Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV (Ed for short), a child prodigy and hacker who's not entirely right in the head, and Ein, a genetically engineered Welsh Corgi who might even be more intelligent than Ed. Every crew member has some sort of trouble in their past that gets explored in some way, but none of it is ever fully explained. Instead, the viewer gets to see bits and pieces of the past in flashbacks across the course of the series and has to figure things out based on that. Like Dantalian no Shoka, which I talked about last week, the show's episodic nature means that there isn't too much in the way of a big plot thread that the characters follow. The only constant outer conflict the characters face is their inability to hold on to money for any extended period of time.

However, there is an overarching storyline of sorts that gets resolved over the course of the series, even if the resolution just leaves more questions that never get answered, so let's jump right in!



Way back in 2022, an experimental hyperspace gate on the Earth's moon exploded, wreaking havoc on the Earth below and then subjecting it to constant meteor showers for the following 50 years leading up to the events of the show. To escape their now ruined homeworld, people perfected space travel and terraforming, allowing other planets and moons to be colonized. However, as humanity spread out across the solar system, various crime syndicates popped up looking to gain power and influence. Since the Inter-Solar System Police don't have nearly enough manpower to patrol the entire solar system, bounty hunters like the crew of the Bebop are common. They track down criminals, apprehend them, and turn them in for a sum of money. This fits quite naturally with the episodic nature of the show, and blends together science fiction with an old, Wild West feel that I don't often see pulled off successfully.

Despite the episodic presentation, there is one constant source of conflict for the characters: the past. Each character has something in their past to haunt them; Spike's time as an assassin in the Red Dragon syndicate, Jet's time as a member of the ISSP that cost him his arm, Faye's amnesia about her past, the circumstances that led to Ed living on her own instead of with her family, and even Ein's past that resulted in him becoming a super intelligent "data dog." The characters all have their own conflicts and deal with them in their own ways, but without a doubt Spike's is the one that gets the most examination, having two separate two-parters dedicated to bringing it to a close. This is a bit of a shame in my opinion, since as good a character as Spike was and as interesting as his story may have been, I found myself liking the other characters - particularly Jet and Ed - a lot more than I did Spike, and would have liked to have seen more of them, but they did get enough time that I wasn't really disappointed. No character is left out, some just have more baggage and thus need more time to fully flesh their conflict out than the others.

Cowboy Bebop, like Dantalian, largely focuses on a series of mini-adventures meant to give the mismatched cast a chance to develop and grow closer to each other. The difference is that it focuses on a much wider cast - two and a half times larger, if you count the dog. And of course, you should count the dog. An animal with no actual speaking parts is as much of a main character as Spike, Jet, Faye, and Ed. At the start of the series we only have Spike and Jet on their ship, but soon enough they start taking in strays and end up with an entire dysfunctional family unit. They rarely get along with each other, and Spike constantly claims to hate animals, children, and women with attitudes - all of which wind up on the ship with him - but we get to see them grow to accept and even care for each other quite a bit, which leads to a few touching moments as they let their hidden hearts of gold shine through.

Bebop is also the first anime I've reviewed that has an English dub, and what a dub it is! The only names I recognized on sight in the cast are Steve Blum as Spike and Melissa Fahn as Ed, but after looking into the rest I was quite familiar with not only the main cast, but a lot of voices behind the minor characters, including a single-episode appearance by one of my absolute favorites, Jamieson Price. Some of the bit characters are forgettable, but no character was bad, and most were extremely solid. I'm not part of the group of people who think it's the greatest English dub ever, but I can definitely understand where they're coming from. There's a lot of big name talent, and even the lesser known voices put out a fine performance. In addition to a wonderful dub, the soundtrack is an absolute joy to listen to. It's used to great effect to set the mood and drive home the space western theme during the series as well as being fantastic standalone music.

However - and from what I've seen, this is probably gonna be a pretty unpopular opinion - I didn't like Cowboy Bebop all that much. It wasn't bad, mind you. I enjoyed most of the episodes, and I did like the characters quite a bit. Still, as much as I liked the characters, I couldn't help but see them as... well, characters, most of the time, as opposed to actual people. I don't know why it bugs me here when in things like, say, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann the same thing happens and I couldn't care less, but I think it's because they tried to make it a realistic setting. Even if it's set in 2071 and interplanetary travel is commonplace, much of the technology, society, and how people act are very similar to our modern day society. Maybe I'm wrong, but the show seems to be aiming for a certain degree of realism that makes me judge the characters a little bit more harshly than I would in a more fantastic setting. Also, part of my problem with it might be that I tried to power through the entire thing in a week, when it's more suited to being watched every so often and enjoyed bit by bit. Without a central conflict pulling everyone together and driving everything forward, I had trouble finding a reason for me to watch multiple episodes in a single sitting. Maybe if I go back and re-watch the series a little bit at a time, it'll appeal to me more.

Overall, Cowboy Bebop is an excellent anime and definitely one that deserves its recognition. It isn't without its flaws, and it's definitely not one that everyone will enjoy, but it's hard to deny its charm and how well the concept was executed. Watch it if you're interested in seeing the Wild West IN SPACE, a lot of badass action scenes, a cast full of anti-heroes, and a largely unconnected series of small adventures with some underlying backstory spread throughout the series. Avoid it if, like with Dantalian, you want a plot that goes from Point A to Point B with a definite, constant conflict instead of episodic adventures, if you're looking for something bright and upbeat, or if not getting all of the information you're teased with just frustrates you.

Welp, that's it for this week's review. I'm trying to see if I can manage weekly posts, and I think I can, but depending on how this next week goes I may decide to switch to a review every other week instead. If you disagree with anything I said, feel free to argue with me in the comments and I'll try my best to argue back!

-Xort

No comments:

Post a Comment